Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The gospel in Bridget Jones?


so,
curled up on my couch down in the basement, watching one of my ALL TIME FAV movies, and one that I was most definitely drawn to tonight: Bridget Jones: the Edge of Reason. Why was I drawn to this movie you may ask... well, I had an epiphany whilest watching.

It starts out with Bridget having the life she dreamed of. She's in a functional relationship, with a successful Human Rights Lawyer, Mark Darcy. He loves her, 'just the way she is' and has a 'certain fondness for her wobbily bits'.

Then doubt creeps in. The insecurities by both parties involved, become more and more apparent. The differences between the two, the ideas and ideals that they hold fast to, seem too far apart to ever be functional.

They break up. Correction: she dumps him.

Fast forward a few weeks or months, and she's at work, being a 'serious journalist' when she is approached by her network to team up with a former flame, Daniel Cleaver. She is adamant the entire time, that she would never again, fall for his traps, deceit and smooth ways.

But, he knows her weaknesses. He is charming and clever. She is vulnerable and alone. A little bit of attention never hurt anyone. The sweet nothings whispered into your ear.

Seductive and powerful.

While in Thailand with Daniel Cleaver for their assignment, he works on her. She staunch at first, but the flattery and appeal of Daniel is like a soothing balm on her wounded and broken ego.

She almost caves.
But in the nick of time, an event happens that prevents the inevitable from being. She was saved from her gullibility in an unlikely way.

Time passes and before she realizes it, she's smuggling cocaine (unknowingly) out of Thailand when she is arrested and thrown into jail. Feeling alone and desolate, she is surprised when Mark Darcy comes in to rescue her, saving her from spending any more time in the hellish place that is a Thailand prison.

She tries to tell him her feelings for him, but because of the seductiveness of Daniel Cleaver and appearances of things that never happened, Mark's feelings are hurt, causing him to leave and return home.

There's obviously more to the story, but I wish to fixate on the previously stated summary.

Bridget never actually felt like Mark could love her for her, so completely. yes, he did say it all the time. and sure, she must've felt it, at least a little bit. But the moment doubt set in, the moment it became difficult, she threw in the towel. Without trying, without reason, without explanation.

With him out of her life, she thought it was much easier. More miserable, hands down, but easier.

Then came Daniel Cleaver, with his silvery tongue and his come hither looks. He pales in comparison to Mark Darcy, but because Mark Darcy is OUT of the picture, he seems like the best thing ever.

Bridget feels comfortable with him. He knows her flaws, he em-brasses his own. He brings the vulgar side of her out instead of trying to bring out the best in her.

HELLO!

It's the same thing with my Savior. He loves me, just the way I am. Sure, He wishes that I could be more of a lady or more of a daughter in my own eyes, but He loves me.

Daniel Cleaver isn't necessarily the devil in this story though. He is the sin. The seductive and mesmerizing sin that so many of us, mainly me, fall prey to. He makes it seem so easy. It's easy to be the animalistic person that I am. It's easier to fall prey to my weaknesses, and in turn, causing me to sin. It's easy to bring out the vulgar in me, and really, I've yet to feel as though I could win a Mark Darcy. Much like Bridget.

But if I truly believe He loves me and wants me to be happy, I must work on my weaknesses, by first admitting that I do have them. I do have my vices and weaknesses that I am TERRIFIED of people finding out. I'm sure people suspect some of them. And I'm sure some of them, would shock the hell out of most of 'em.

But I think I'm ready to brave it... again. And become more honest and more true with myself and to make things right with God. However else, am I gonna get out of my own Thailand prison... cuz I can't without Mark Darcy.

2 comments:

nora.lakehurst said...

There ya go. Now I can leave a comment. :D YAY and yes it is true. Love ya

Aubstar said...

I <3 that movie!