I have.
And I was very lucky to marry into a family of very inspiring people.
![]() |
| Dad: Tim |
![]() | ||
| Mom: Jeni |
![]() | |
| Sister: Rachel |
My first, selfish thought was: "If I continue to date Josh, and maybe marry him (..hey, I really really liked him at this point).. could I handle having someone with obvious disabilities in my life?" I decided then and there, that I could. And then, as time went on, I became more involved in the day to day life at the Rowley's. Mom and Dad went to Florida for a convention, I think in March, and I volunteered to come over in the mornings and help a vacant Rachel get ready for school. Waking up, bathroom-ing, brushing hair, choosing clothes, eating breakfast, brushing teeth... etc etc etc.
Then one day, it clicked. She came back to life. She was funny, witty, talkative, and teenage girly. She wanted to have her nails painted, and to talk about the cute boys- "I like boys." & was "there". I love this girl. I miss this girl. I want this girl back.
She has her ups and downs- ins and outs- calm and not so calm days. She teaches all of us about patience. How frustrating it must be to her to not be able to express what she wants/needs to tell us. How do you explain to a girl about headaches, loneliness, being upset, when she's hurt, how to express it so that we can understand her...?
Last Sunday, during Sacrament meeting, the sister speaking (don't ask me her name- I'm a recluse in this ward) was talking about a time when she worked at a home for disabled adults. She shared a sweet story of the plan of salvation with one of the ladies from the home passing away. This lady's name was Rachel.
My heart sunk. My eyes filled with tears. And the only thought to my head was - Not *my* Rachel. I mean, she's not even "mine". But she is. This girl has me hooked. Nothing is more happy than when she's happy. The feeling at that home changes. She's laughing, talking, and talking about all things good. Her "bookzines" (magazines) with the differing people in them. How she narrates and explains pictures and how she explains how she's feeling... But at the end of the talk, one of the other ladies from the home, explained, in her child-like faith and knowledge said, " Rachel can walk now"... and I recognized the spirit telling me- "This is what makes it worth while- the frustrations, the weakness, the pain. The fact that someday, Rachel will be able to communicate with all of us. She'll not have the limitations that she has now. And I hope and pray that when that day comes, she'll come up to each of us and say, "I'm so happy that I was blessed to be your blessing."
I'm not even sure if this makes sense to anyone... But it does to me.
I love this Rachel girl...



No comments:
Post a Comment