The repeated movement of buckling a safety belt, while it can be annoying, is so habit by now that I don't even think twice about it.
Once, when I needed to cancel my gym member ship and just moved my car from one parking spot to another on the other side of the building (c'mon, it was cold- you would've done it too) I buckled in- making my friend chuckle at my habit.
However- buckling my seat belt on Tuesday, *may* have saved my life.
No, I wasn't in a horrible life shattering car accident. Just a minor (pfft- my car has the face of an old, angry lady without her dentures in) rear-ending accident. The icy conditions from the night before had not melted from the road yet because the road-salt guys hadn't been around my area yet...
Creeping along at a whole 20mph (seriously, maybe even less than that) I saw the stop sign, registered the ice and started braking WAY before the intersection where a '69 Oldsmobile Cutlass was sitting, waiting to proceed thru the 2 way stop. Applying pressure to the brakes typically can stop my small little Cranberry Lou. Even in icy conditions. I even started to apply them more aggressively, but to no avail.
>< Crunch ><
Immediately, I start to cry. We had been praying (and continue to pray) for the means to pay off debts and to have the money to have Husband's car replaced- among other things. We didn't have the money or time for this. We didn't... we didn't... we don't... me me me... us us us...
The gentleman that I crunched my car into was on his way to an interview- which made me feel even worse. But maybe, he was going to have an even worse accident and this was a tender mercy that Heavenly Father blessed on him...
However, even though it sucks that my car was crunched- we have total things to be grateful for.
The car- wasn't totaled.. Still not sure how I feel about it... I almost wish it was so that we could buy a car that Husband feels more comfortable driving.
Our insurance agency was super nice to me.
We didn't have to file a police report and the insurance is *still* going to pay for our repairs.
My parents have the Honda that I sold to them and are letting me borrow it for the time being...
Husband and I weren't hurt... not even with severe whiplash... although I think I should get an adjustment.
Husband's mom came to the rescue, dropped me off at my parents house (even though I love my in-laws, I'm still not super comfortable just being at their house yet... someday soon though.. ) and took Husband to work so that he wouldn't be late.
So while it sucks not having my cute Cranberry Lou- I am *very* blessed to have people who are willing to help me in my life... which I think I needed to remember.
No comments:
Post a Comment