It was a cool spring evening. Husband and I had just become engaged, and Rachel, my beautiful autistic sister-in-law to be was in good spirits. Gazing out of the bay window in the front room, she chatted incessantly.
This was completely different than the girl that I had first met when Husband and I had started dating. The quiet and vacant girl had been replaced with a lively, chatty, and happy young woman. She gazed at my ring, and a swelling of happiness filled my heart.
I grabbed Husband and brought him to his feet, and we asked Rachel if she wanted to go for a walk. It was just going to be one up the road because evening was drawing close and the heat from the sun had dissipated.
Laughter sparkled from her eyes, and off we went.
We ventured down the road, Husband and I hand in hand, and Rachel, taking the lead.
We reached the end of the road and we asked her where she wanted to go. She pointed down another road, so off we went. Every few seconds, we would hear another exclamation of delight... "Look!"
Our walk took us down and around the entire block area of which we lived. As we neared home, the coolness of the evening hadn't seemed to deter Rachel... "LOOK! Flowers!"
We got inside, the chill of our skin warmed by the heat of the house.
Rachel was happy to be home.
We were happy that we got to spend time with her.
And now, we wait. Patiently, prayerfully, and anxiously... wait for the lovely young bubbly lady to emerge again from her vacant and blank stare.
This was completely different than the girl that I had first met when Husband and I had started dating. The quiet and vacant girl had been replaced with a lively, chatty, and happy young woman. She gazed at my ring, and a swelling of happiness filled my heart.
I grabbed Husband and brought him to his feet, and we asked Rachel if she wanted to go for a walk. It was just going to be one up the road because evening was drawing close and the heat from the sun had dissipated.
Laughter sparkled from her eyes, and off we went.
We ventured down the road, Husband and I hand in hand, and Rachel, taking the lead.
"look, pink flowers. I love pink flowers. They're my favorite.- Look, that's a house.
I like that house. Look, roses. I love roses."
We reached the end of the road and we asked her where she wanted to go. She pointed down another road, so off we went. Every few seconds, we would hear another exclamation of delight... "Look!"
Our walk took us down and around the entire block area of which we lived. As we neared home, the coolness of the evening hadn't seemed to deter Rachel... "LOOK! Flowers!"
We got inside, the chill of our skin warmed by the heat of the house.
Rachel was happy to be home.
We were happy that we got to spend time with her.
And now, we wait. Patiently, prayerfully, and anxiously... wait for the lovely young bubbly lady to emerge again from her vacant and blank stare.
Just- waiting.
No comments:
Post a Comment